Privy Council Office
Search Contacts Feedback Sitemap Links Freedom of Information Text only Home
About the Privy Council Office Privy Council Office Business Judicial Committee Privy Council Meetings Lord President
Higher Education


In certain cases an individual who is aggrieved by an act or omission of a university may petition the Visitor for redress.  The President of the Council is the Visitor of 16 Universities and Colleges. This note sets out information which should be useful for anyone thinking of submitting a petition to the President of the Council in this role.

Changes to the Visitor's jurisdiction were made by the Higher Education Act 2004. The Visitor no longer has any jurisdiction to consider complaints from students, or from members of the academic staff in relation to an employment dispute. The Visitor's jurisdiction is limited to adjudicating on the interpretation and application of the institution's Charter, Statutes, Ordinances etc, provided the point at issue is neither a student complaint or an employment dispute.

Student complaints are now dealt with by the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). Details of how to submit a complaint to OIA can be found on their web-site.

General background information

The Visitor may consider a petition only if the matter has been raised internally within the institution and the petitioner has been informed that a final decision has been taken.

The Visitor's role is to review the application by the University of its own internal procedures in dealing with the petitioner's grievance. The Visitor will not normally intervene unless it can be shown that the University has failed to observe its own rules or procedures; or that, although it has followed the proper procedures, it has reached a decision that no reasonable body (properly directing itself, and taking account of all relevant factors) could have arrived at.

If a preliminary examination indicates that there is a prima facie case the petition will be sent to the institution for its answer, on which the petitioner will have an opportunity to comment.  Cases are normally determined on the papers. 

Petitions should be addressed to

The Clerk of the Council
Privy Council Office
2 Carlton Gardens

and should be clearly marked "Petition to the Visitor".

Click here for a list of the Institutions for which the President acts as Visitor.

Related Issues
Other Links
 Office of the Leader of the House of Commons
 Buckingham Palace

In this Section
Work of the Privy Council Office
Privy Council Members
Royal Charter
Higher Education
High Sheriffs
Professional Bodies